Thursday, February 12, 2015

I Challenge me! and you!

I have decided that I need to grow as a quilter. I think the best way to do that is to try new blocks. So I have picked 12 blocks that I have never made before and designed a quilt. I have also gave myself a timeline of one week finish one block. So in twelve weeks I will have all the blocks ready for a quilt top!

The blocks I have picked would be great for beginners like me. So I challenge other quilters as well.  I will be writing tutorials with pictures of how to build the blocks. All blocks will finish 12 in square. I do recommend a 12 1/2 square ruler! Finished quilt size Approximately 50 X 64.

I will be doing this in a mystery quilt fashion. Meaning, I will be the only one who knows what blocks are in the quilt and what it will look like finished. Don't be scared to try this! I promise there is no applique, paper piecing or other more advanced techniques involved.

For those who would like to follow along, I am giving you fabric requirements today. This will include fabric for the blocks, sashing and borders for the finished quilt. I am not giving you specific colors though. I believe we all have our own tastes in fabric and that will make this quilt your own not mine!

If you do decide to follow along with me feel free to share your blocks! I love seeing how other people tackle the same projects. If you blog leave a link to your blog featuring the finished block.

I think that is enough babbling. Time to give you the numbers!

Yardage Required:

Color 1- 2 1/4 yards (focus fabric)
Color 2 - 1 1/4 yards coordinating
Color 3- 1 yard coordinating
White- for sashing and inner border 1 1/4 yards

All my yardage measurements are overestimated. I do this on purpose because we all cut differently and all fabric is different lengths ( 40-45 in wide).

I don't have a very large stash but I was able to find my fabrics in there! So I will be posting the first block in just a few days. If you are following along but need to get fabrics no worries. Take your time and just follow along at your own pace. If  you plan on following along, feel free to drop a comment!

3 comments: