Monday, February 16, 2015

I Challenge Me! Block One

The first block I chose for this quilt is a friendship star variation.

Cutting:


 Focus Fabric :

1 - 4 1/2 inch square
2 - 5 inch squares

Color 1 :

2 - 5 inch squares

Color 2 :

4 - 4 1/2 inch squares


Sewing Instructions:

Pair each 5 inch colored square with a focus square right sides together. On the back of the colored squares line up the 1/4 mark on your ruler from corner to corner. Draw a line. Using the same corners, flip your ruler and mark the other side out 1/4 These will be our sewing lines to make half square triangle units. Sew on these lines. It should look like below.



Line up your ruler one of your sewing lines on the 1/4 in mark on your ruler and cut in between them. You should now have 4 half square triangle units . 



Trim these down to 4 1/2 inch squares and press to the darker print. This method is pretty accurate. I usually only have to trim thread off the squares. If you haven't used this method or aren't comfortable with it, go ahead and cut your squares a bit bigger. Just remember to trim it down. We will be using this method a lot throughout the quilt.


That's all the hard stuff for this block! Now we can assemble the block. I like to lay it out first to make sure everything is where is needs to be.


Sew in rows like a nine patch block. For this block I am pressing the seams towards the regular squares. This will allow the seams to nest for sewing the rows together. 



Sew your rows together. I like to pin my seams so I know they are lined up nicely. 


My first Friendship Star! It was a lot of fun to put together and really easy too!

Here is a picture of the back of my star. I pressed my row seams outward.



I hope you enjoyed this block as much as I did. Stay tuned. My next block will be releasing on Monday the 23rd. If you made this block please feel free to drop a link to it in the comments!






No comments:

Post a Comment