Monday, February 23, 2015

I Challenge me! Block 2

This week I decided to go with the Shoo Fly Block.

Cutting :

Focus Fabric :

4 - 4 1/2 inch squares

Color 1:

2- 5 inch squares

Color 2:

2- 5 inch squares
1- 4 1/2 inch square

Sewing Instructions:

Prepare the 5 inch blocks in the same fashion as the previous block. Pictures on this process can be found on block one tutorial. I must apologize I seem to be having camera problems today.

Pair each 5 inch color 1 square with a color 2 square right sides together. On the back of two of the colored squares line up the 1/4 mark on your ruler from corner to corner. Draw a line. Using the same corners, flip your ruler and mark the other side out 1/4 These will be our sewing lines to make half square triangle units. Sew on these lines. 

Line up your ruler one of your sewing lines on the 1/4 in mark on your ruler and cut in between them. You should now have 4 half square triangle units Trim these down to 4 1/2 inch squares and press to the darker print. I am pressing to the gold one my blocks here since they are a print. 

Once these 4 units are made we are ready to assemble the block. This block goes together same a nine patch block as well. Layout your block as seen below. (My camera seems to have eaten the layout picture so here is the finished block!)


Sew blocks in rows. I pressed my seams toward the focus fabrics on this block. Pin and sew rows together. I pressed these seams in. They really wanted to lay that way and I didn't see a reason to fight them. Here is a picture of the back of my block to show pressing.


That's it the Shoo Fly block is finished! 2 down and 10 to go! Tune in on March second for the next block.



No comments:

Post a Comment